Wednesday, January 02, 2008

General Elections 2008

Come January 15, 68 candidates will be vying for 30 seats in Barbados' House of Assembly. Of these, 30 will be fielded by the incumbent Barbados Labour Party (BLP) and Democratic Labour Party (DLP) respectively, four by the People's Empowerment Party (PEP) and two by the People's Democratic Congress (PDC). Two independents will also be contesting the General Election.

Between now and then, I'll be posting up the candidates and discussing their chances at the polls. I'm no political scientist so don't expect any statistics or major extrapolations. That's why we have Peter Wickham and CADRES.

I'll just be giving my honest opinion and gut feelings based on years of working in the media and especially around the local politicos. I'll start in the north in the parish of St. Lucy and work my way down to St. Michael.

Later today, I'll get cracking with the candidates for St. Lucy, the incumbent Denis Kellman of the DLP and Peter Philips of the BLP.

AMENDMENT
I just learned that one of the two Independent candidates, Peter Prescod, will not be contesting the General Election as planned; the poor guy couldn't get anyone to nominate him. Cuh dear.

No comments: