Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Happy Endings Part 8



Two days later, Madeline was up late working when she received a call from one of her media contacts. The news he shared, and his follow up email, had her scrambling for her cell phone.

“Have you lost your God-forsaken mind?” she yelled when Maya answered. “Do you know the shit storm you’ve created!”

Maya eased away from Liam’s warm body and tiptoed out of the room.

“What the hell are you talking about, Madeline?” she asked crossly. “Do you know what time it is?”

“Yes, time for you to get your ass back to LA,” Madeline snapped. “I knew I shouldn’t have let you go down there alone. Then you wouldn’t have the opportunity to make out half-naked in some pool!”

Maya sank into a chair, mortified. “It was 3:00 in the morning, Maddy!” she cried. “I wouldn’t expect the fricking paparazzi to be around!”

“The story is running tomorrow but I got a heads up. What the hell am I going to tell Bill when he calls?”

Maya buried her head in her hands. It was not unheard of for a Hollywood starlet to be caught in a compromising situation, but when the one in question was on the verge of promoting a movie and held several lucrative sponsorship deals based on her squeaky clean image….

“I take it that was Liam in the photos?” Madeline asked suddenly. She had hoped at first it was Terry Bridges caught in flagrante delicto with Maya; now that her PR machinery could capitalise on….

“Yes,” Maya groaned, preparing for the onslaught of disapproval.

The agent sighed. “Well, at least you got some. I was beginning to wonder if I should check you into a convent.”

“I love him, Maddy.” Tears rained down her cheeks. “I can’t lose him over this.”

Madeline rolled her eyes. Thank God she had given up on love three ex-husbands ago. “I’m sending the jet back for you. Andrea will call with the details. Just be ready to do some damage control.”

Maya disconnected and returned to the bedroom to break the news to Liam.

“Are you going to be alright?” he asked after he got over his initial shock.

Tears welled in her eyes again and he gathered her in his arms. “I don’t want you to hate me over this,” she sobbed. “Our families, your work mates, seeing us like that.”

Liam caressed her back. “I don’t blame you, baby. I blame the bastard who took the photos. Look at me.” He eased her away from his chest and cupped her face. “We love each other and we were doing what came naturally. There’s no shame in that.”

Explaining to her grandmother why she was leaving early was painful, but Maya couldn’t let her find out through the media. After a tearful goodbye to Liam at the airport, she winged her way back to LA later that evening.

Terry, who was already back in LA, contacted her en route. “You okay, kid?” he asked sympathetically.

She sank deeper into the jet’s leather seats and rubbed her eyes. “I just feel numb, Terry. The studio is going to blast me on this.”

He gave a derisive snort. “If they knew what Trish and I got up to when I was in Barbados their hair would curl.” He pondered for a few minutes. “Hey, you want me to tell them to ease off you or I’ll come out before the premiere?”

Despite her depressed state, Maya laughed loudly. “You would let Hollywood think you’re gay to help me out?”

“That’s what friends are for. Besides, because of you, I think I met the woman I’m gonna marry.”


The final chapter is coming soon!

Image: Fustic House - St. Lucy, Barbados

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I need chapter 9, great story!