Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Endings Part 5



After a tense 30-minute trip, Liam and Maya pulled up in front of the large plantation house, where they were met by her grandmother’s housekeeper, Rosalind.

While he unloaded the luggage, the women exchanged a warm hug and ascended the front steps arm-in-arm. Maya glanced around the large, tastefully decorated coral stone house fondly. Drama aside, it was good to be home, she thought.

After grabbing a quick shower, she drew on her favorite silk bathrobe and went downstairs to grab a snack. She was surprised to find Liam seated at the large kitchen table.

“I wanted to make sure you were settled before I left. Are you going to be okay here by yourself?” he said as he rose.

She tightened the belt of her robe. Be careful, you’re starting to sound like you care, she wanted to retort but instead said, “I’ll be fine. Your mother wanted me to stay with them but I wanted to be close to the plantation.”

He nodded. “Well, make sure you leave the security lights on. And remind Ros to set the alarm if you’re not here when she leaves,” he added.

She gave a small smile. “I see you’re getting bossier with the big 3-0 coming up.”

His lips curved slightly. “Seems like just the other day we were entering secondary school. Now I’m practically an old man.”

Maya chuckled wryly. “Now who’s fishing for a compliment.”

They both broke into laughter and Maya’s heart quickened at the sight of his gorgeous smile. It felt good to share a laugh after all the tension and resentment.

Liam turned serious. “Look, Maya,” he began, rubbing his stubbled jaw, “about earlier… I had no right to say what I did.”

“It’s all good,” she began, but he interrupted.

“No, it isn’t. You made a decision about what you want to do with your life, and instead of supporting you I tried to make you feel guilty. That’s wrong and I apologise.”

She exhaled. “I’m sorry too, for hurting you when I turned down your proposal. It wasn’t because I didn’t love you, Liam. It’s just the timing was totally off.”

Eyes glistening with tears, she turned away abruptly before he could notice but he placed a hand on her arm. Heat radiated through her at his touch, igniting the slow flame of desire in her belly.

“I know you’re right, but it’s been still difficult moving on,”’ he replied.

Hesitantly, he drew her close, inhaling her fresh scent. Maya’s heart beat a wild tattoo as she returned his embrace. It would be so easy to raise her lips to his, to run her hands over his broad chest and back...

Instead, she reluctantly stepped back and cleared her throat. “As you’re here, do you want to share dinner? Ros always make too much.”

He nodded his assent, and the two spent the next few hours enjoying a tentative truce.

No comments: