Friday, December 14, 2007

Twenty fave Christmas tunes

Hi, peoples! Hope all the Christmas plans are progressing nicely and that you're remembering the true reason for the season.

It's easy to get caught up in the commercial side of Christmas; in Barbados we have some folks who toss out perfectly good furniture and redecorate just because it's Christmas. They must hate the postman in January...

One of my fave things about this time of year is the music. I'm a sucker for some parang and the Muppets, although I can't stand Alvin and the Chipmunks. And if I hear Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer or Christmas Shoes one more time...

Anyhoo, here's my list and this is probably the toughest one I've had to do so far. Many of these songs have been remade but these are the version I like. Let me know what are some of your fave holiday tunes.


20. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams (www.allposters.com)


19. (There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays - Perry Como (http://image.listen.com)


18. Drink Ah Rum - Lord Kitchener (www.tntisland.com)


17. It's Christmas All Over the World - New Edition (www.rollingstone.com)


16. No Christmas Without You- Edwin Yearwood & Krosfyah (www.afromontreal.com)


15. I Wouldn't Trade Christmas - Frank Sinatra (www.boston.com)


14. Caroling Caroling - Nat King Cole (www.www.imdb.com)


13. Do You Hear What I Hear - Whitney Houston (http://us.ent2.yimg.com)


12. This Christmas - Chris Brown (http://img2.timeinc.net)


11. Oh Night Divine - Tevin Campbell (www.capitalentertainment.com)


10. Christmas Is My Favourite Time of Year - Kenny Rogers (www.udel.edu)


9. Little Drummer Boy - Biggie Irie & Natahlee (http://barbadostravel.squarespace.com)

8. A Cradle In Bethlehem - Nat King Cole


7. All I Want For Christmas - Mariah Carey

6. Who Could Imagine A King - Whitney Houston


5. Oh Come All Ye Faithful - Luther Vandross (www.allposters.com)


4. My Christmas Prayer - BeBe Winans and Rob Thomas (http://noted.blogs.com)


3. As Long As There's Christmas - Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson (www.gregsgrooves.com)

2. Jesus Born on This Day - Mariah Carey


1. Born This Day - Yolanda Adams (www.wikimedia.org)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got me in the mood. I couldn’t narrow my favourite to less than 40. It is so hard to believe that I have so many Christmas favourites, but as you can see all oldies. I commend you on your good taste.

Here are over forty of my favorite songs that I’ll share with you. Unfortunately only one of them is by a Caribbean group, The Merrymen. I have embedded them so have fun extracting them.

Sharing My All Time Favourite Christmas Carols

Silver Bells on a White Christmas and Sleigh Bells Ring
How You’ll Like To Spend Christmas? Caroling, Caroling!
And The Gift Goes On, so what can I give him? Little Alter Boy
Rhythms played by a Little Drummer Boy that brings him joy
It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, everywhere you go
Noel, Go Tell It On The Mountain to Let It Snow
Guardian Angels watch over me on a Silent Night
Merry Christmas Darling, It’s Christmas Time and right
You Wouldn’t Trade Christmas for The Chipmunk Song
A Cradle In Bethlehem or O Tannenbaum
Last night I Saw Three Ships come sailing in
Look across the room at the Chestnuts Roasting
Then I thought What Ever Happened To Christmas
It’s Such A Lonely Time Of Year for us
Mary’s Little Boy Child, What Child is This? So blissful
Emanuel, O Come, O Come Emanuel, O Come All Ye Faithful
For the 12 Days Of Christmas, I’ll like to be
A child again with gifts all around me
Very young and hearing my mother singing
Oh Bambino and Sleep Well Little Children
Unusual stories like Grammy Got Run Over By A Reindeer
Rejoicing cause Christmas Comes To Us Once A Year
I’ll Be Home For Christmas, dad would promise me
Then Senor Santa Claus puts something under the tree
Each Christmas is for Kids so I wish today
Cheer comes and steals my Blue Christmas away
Happy Birthday Jesus, like I heard from them
Refrains of how Some Children See Him
I mentioned my favourite song last
So people may remember the more recent past
These songs I heard from varying singers
Mario Lanza, Bing Crosby, Nat and the Carpenters
All my oldies though I’ve left out a few
Sinatra Family and Andy Williams are just another two
Caroling at Christmas brings such great cheer
A small guess why it the best time of the year
Retailers enjoy the increase in trade
Overtime, the tinsel and the caroling serenade
Lyrics aside, regardless to the singing celebrity
Some Christmas Carols always bring cheer to me

Khaidji
BajanPoetry.com

Anonymous said...

Looking through your site to contact you. Please email me: admin@cropovercarnival.com
Love you content.

Jdid said...

ya mean maizie couldnt even mek the top 20. cuhdear!

Bajegirl said...

Khaidji, thanks for your poetic offerings as usual.

To Anonymous and anyone else trying to reach me: you can email me at jamdung97@yahoo.com.

Hey Jdid. If I had done 25 songs Maizie would have been in there for sure, haha. As well as Scrunter's I Want A Piece O' Pork.;)

Merry Christmas all!