Monday, November 17, 2008

Cable & Wireless gone sour

In case you haven't heard, earlier this month, Cable and Wireless official Donald Austin announced that the company was to be rebranded as LIME (Landline, Internet, Mobile, Entertainment).

You can read the story here to see what the new company will be offering vis-a-vis the former Cable & Wireless.

I'm neither here nor there with the rebranding, and yes, I know LIME is the acronym for the services the new company will provide. I'm just wondering if in our Caribbean context anything to do with 'liming' will be taken seriously.

In our part of the world, to lime means to relax, chill out, hang out, etc. Lime is also a citrus, and a sour one at that. Makes good lemonade though, but I digress...

I just think it's the kind of name that won't be taken seriously, and by extension the company won't be taken seriously. But hey, maybe after being a stodgy monopoly for decades they want to be seen as fun and hip. I can't wait to see how Digicel responds....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really feel that there should be a better alternative to C&W in Barbados, they are a joke!