Friday, August 17, 2007

A mighty strange all clear


Hi peoples. God has once again been good to Barbados and we were spared the worst of Hurricane Dean. My prayers are with the islands of St. Lucia, Martinique and others being affected by Dean at this time.

When I heard on the news at 7 a.m. that the all clear had been given I was surprised, 'cause in St. Michael the wind was howling and the rain beating down. The only thing that was clear to me then that if I stepped outside I might get smacked in the head with a shaddock from our tree. At least there wasn't any thunder or lightning during the night, otherwise our dog Rover would have kept the whole neighbourhood awake.

Which brings me to something else...some folks here slept like babies through the passage of Dean! When the wind began to howl around 2 a.m. I woke up and remained awake until around 4 a.m., and I don't consider myself a light sleeper.

But we Bajans can do some strange things when it comes to 'bad weather', as we call it, anyway. Many of us treat storms or hurricanes like a spectator sport, going to the beach to check out the waves crashing in. Some would rush into the supermarket at the 11th hour to collect hurricane supplies (usually corned beef, sardines and biscuits), though a lot more folks are stocking up early in the hurricane season now.

Then there are those who consider the passage of a hurricane a vacation day, actually going to the video store to stock up on tapes of dvds! As if you can enjoy a movie while your roof is sailing away. God bless us Bajans, we're some lucky people.

Photo: http://media.collegepublisher.com

No comments: