Friday, June 22, 2007

Rihanna's feelings are hurt


Oh dear. Rihanna's pretty teed off with us Bajans right now. According to excerpts from a recent interview she did with Entertainment Weekly magazine (courtesy of one of my fave blogs Just Jared.com) Rihanna's upset because of the criticism she's received from her countrymates since striking it big on the international stage. Based on her comments, it appears as though the criticism is centered mostly on her wardrobe, or lack thereof if you've seen the Umbrella video.

Well, if you've been reading this blog over the past few months you'll know I've had my piece to say on Rihanna's wardrobe choices. To refresh your memory, see here and here. Her wardrobe has ranged from elegant to stripper-like, the latter especially when she's performing. I give her props when she's doing it up right, but I gotta call her out when I see her walking around half-naked too. I'm interested in the girl's health, 'cause once a draught hits her the wrong way all the honey and lime in the world ain't gonna help her sing properly...

Anyhoo, here's what she had to say in the interview:

What’s it like when you go back to visit Barbados these days? Do you still have a lot of friends there? Are people mostly happy for you or do you get hated on a lot?
A lot of them hate me, but a lot of them love me. I don’t really let the ones that hate me stop me from doing what I wanna do. They always have something to say about what I’m wearing, what I’m not wearing, like in the ”Umbrella” video. If I wear a swimsuit to the beach, it’s a problem, they put it on the front of the newspaper and call into programs. It really annoys me when people that I try to represent and I try to put them on the map as much as I can — you know, I didn’t have to put Tridents in my videos.

Put what in your videos? Trident, which is the symbol of the flag. I didn’t have to talk about them. I didn’t have to even mention that I’m from Barbados. But I do and people kind of take it for granted. They hate me. They talk s— about me all the time. But I’m like, ”Whatever. I’m still doing this cause I love to do it and you’re not going to stop me.”

Alrighty then. You go on with your bad self, Rih Rih. Acting all snippy and stuff. Thanks for putting us on the map, hear?

Photo: http://justjared.buzznet.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dedicate this song to Rihanna

Nobody don't like me - The Mighty Liar